Friday, May 15, 2009

I'm a Mazungu!!

So, I'm in Uganda!! Today is my one week mark. It has been so eye opening and amazing so far. I am enjoying every second of it though. From the second we walk out of our doors at our house, all we here is "Mazungu, Mazungu" and then "how are you?" The kids love us here. They run from all over to see us. One of our first days here, we decided to go and play with the kids who live outside our house and it took a while for them to warm up to us. First we played ring around the rosies with just us muzungus and then slowly the kids started to join in and before we new it, out of no where, there was at least 30 kids surrounding us wanting to play with us. The kids love to touch our skin. They also love my moles and hair on my arms, they will just play with it!! It is so funny. The other day, I was walking down the street to look at some adobe stoves and kids were running up to us and holding our hand but one lady came up with her two kids and set one little baby who probably just started to walk in front of me and another one about 3 yrs old and walked off. The little one was naked and he looked at me and started to cry and run away. It was so sad but funny at the same time. All the parents want them to touch our skin and stuff. It is really interesting. The really young kids are scared of us but the older ones like us!!
The first three days I was here my group went to an Orphanage called Faith orphanage. The first day was crazy because we had to stay in one room because it was raining. We brought jump ropes and bubbles and soccer balls and they had drums there. We were in this room that was pretty small about the size of a living room or a little bigger. It was so crazy we had half the room playing soccer a courter of the room playing the drums and dancing and the other part with jump ropes and then other people playing clapping games. It was fun though. It was really interesting to just sit there and talk to some of the older kids. I met this girl named Roda. She was so fun to talk to because she told me about her family and then wanted to know all about the USA and my home. She found my camera and started to look through all of my family pictures and was so interested to see my roommates and my family and especially my home.
Oh ya, They LOVE Obama. I never new that I would be singing and dancing and cheering for Obama the way that I do here. We will walk down the street and they will Yell OBAMA and so we will yell it back and then they will repeat it and start to laugh. Oh and they have a song here that says "OBAMA is the real African hero" and stuff like that. I will have to get it and show it to everyone. It is so weird and funny at the same time. I've also had some interesting talks about why they like him so much. It is really interesting.
The last thing I'm going to talk about is how we went to the NILE and Lake Victoria. We took a little boat that felt like it was going to sink with all of us in there, all 23. We stopped at the beginning of the Nile and got off on this little island thing and went on this big rock that was covered in aunts and we took some pictures . It was hard because the aunts kept climbing on us and it was gross but we got all the pictures in and that is all that matters!! Okay well I will write more latter.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Tiffany, how is life treating you on the other side world? I turned in my fifth Service Mission papers last week and am waiting to get my mission call. I can hardly wait to see at the beach in July. This is your cousin Lora Lynn Mcintosh. I love you very much!

    ReplyDelete